Natural emerald stonescan be found in a number of countries around the world. Our present-day word “emerald” originates from the Greek word “smaragdus”, meaning “green”. However, emeralds are not a single, uniform color of green, but due to variations in the conditions when they were formed, color can vary from deep green to yellowish-green. Natural emeralds are rather rare, resulting in them being quite costly, and leading to the title “The Jewel of Kings”.From ancient times until today, emeralds have been an important part of most cultures. Some beliefs included wearers would enjoy immortality, sharpened wits, strengthened memory, improved nervous system, and protection against a variety of diseases and ailments.
- Color: Emeralds are available in many shades of green. Natural Emeralds are available from medium to darker green to blue-green and sometimes slightly yellowish-green beryl. The color of the Emeralds depends on the origin of the stones.
- Origin: Natural Emeralds can be found in Colombia, Brazil, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Russia, Afghanistan, Australia, Ghana, India, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Pakistan, Tanzania, Zambia and the United States
- Chemical Composition: Al2Be3Si6O18 (Aluminium beryllium silicate)
- Cut: Round, Oval, Pear, Square, Emerald, Marquise, Trillion, Heart
- Specific Gravity: 2.67-2.8
- Refractive Index: 1.565 – 1.602
- Hardness: 7.5 – 8
Emeralds are formed by hydrothermal processes associated with magma and also by metamorphism. Deposits are found in biotite schist, clay shale, in lime stones, with pegmatite. Mining is nearly from host rock, where the emerald has grown into small veins or on walls of cavities.
Because emeralds are naturally full of cracks and fissures which make it more opaque and less attractive, it has become an industry standard to fill the cracks in emerald, thereby improving its clarity. Traditional fillers are natural oils such as cedar oil. Other methods of filling cracks in emerald are being explored such as waxes, resins and even glass.
Emerald gemstone improves the nervous system, the decision taking becomes more mature and the person is able to give deep thought to his reactions and decisions. Thus better judgments based on deep all inclusive thinking leads to decisions that are able to turn the tide in one’s favour and give long term very strong positions. The chief deity of India’s most famous temple, the Madurai Minakshiamman temple, is goddess Minakshi, whose idol is made of emerald, most likely carved out of a single emerald stone.
Emerald is regarded as the traditional birthstone for May as well as the traditional gemstone for the astrological signs of Taurus, Gemini, and sometimes Cancer.
Rings, Earrings, nose pins, necklaces, and any other jewellery, beaded and tumbled jewellery.
What We Supply
We can supply emerald loose stones in all kinds of colors, qualities from different origins and in different kinds of cuts. But the ones listed in this section is medium quality Emerald. For other emerald stones, please send us an e-mail to email@example.com with your requirements and we will find that piece for you.